Feast of Fire & Frost ~ A Kievan Rus Table (Resources)


I only had about 7-8 weeks to plan this sideboard. So, I did not have enough time to deep dive into the research as I had wanted. When I was reading ~ Kievan Russia by George Vernadsky ~ it said "Little is known of the Russian cuisine of this time." I knew it was going to be an up hill battle to find specific recipes for the time period.

Below are the main sources from my research. (This is not an all inclusive list)
Books:

The Kingdom of Rye: A Brief History of Russian Food, By Darra Goldstein

Kievan Russia by George Vernadsky

Traditional Ukrainian Cookery - By Savella Stechishin (This is more of modern cookbook, however it was collabrated with the Ukrainian Women's Association, who assisted with researching and gathering generational family recipes that was contributed to the book. While it may not be a "period" resource it was helpful.)

Papers:

Halperin, C. J. (2015). A Comparative Approach to Kievan Rus’. Russian History, 42(2), 149–157. http://www.jstor.org/stable/24657869

Morris, A. S. (1971). The Medieval Emergence of the Volga-Oka Region. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 61(4), 697–710. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2562391

Dvornik, F. (1947). The Kiev State and Its Relations with Western Europe. Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, 29, 27–46. https://doi.org/10.2307/3678548

Mezentsev, V. I. (1989). The Territorial and Demographic Development of Medieval Kiev and Other Major Cities of Rus’: A Comparative Analysis Based on Recent Archaeological Research. The Russian Review, 48(2), 145–170. https://doi.org/10.2307/130324

Websites:
https://eatingchoice.com/who-invented-russian-honey-cake
https://www.anciv.com
https://www.advantour.com/russia/food/history/old-russian-cuisine.htm




Comments

Popular Posts