Feast of Fire & Frost ~ A Kievan Rus Table
What a challenge. As I sit here, two days after the event, recooperating with a cup of hot tea and a weighted blanket, and recap some of the moments of the event. I realize the amount of work that I put into my planning was immense and I definately could have used more time, but there are only so many hours in the day.
When I was asked to cook for QRC - I said yes without much thought. At that moment, I had no idea what I was going to make. I almost always have some sort of theme. It's just who I am. I knew I wanted to do something that is not done a lot, as I wanted to give the populace something to remember. After, much thought and several conversations with my laurel, I decided to model my sideboard after Her Majesties personal persona.
Researching this culture, specifically food - was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Previously, most of my recipes could be traced back to a documented source with either a redacted or non-redacted recipe. This was not the case for the Kievan Rus. There was no documented recipes or manuscripts (or at least nothing I could find given the time I had before the event). This meant I had to start from ground zero. I even recruited help for the research from individuals who are much more well versed in research than I am their response was "Digging into historic Kievan documentation, however...that's a challenge." At that point I knew I may have bitten off more than I could chew.
In the research, I went down a rabbit hole and found that early in the Kievan Rus' culture it was mostly a pagan religion. Upon reading more, I decided to bring this aspect into my sideboard. I incorporated it into the sideboard pamphlet. (I'll talk about that more in a bit).
The first thing I did was to get a visual of the area. Meaning, I needed a map, I needed a visual representation of where the borders were. I'm not great in geography, so having that visual helps me focus in a specific region or area. Kievan Rus' was a medieval East Slavic state the existed from the late 9th century to the mid 13th century. It laid the foundation for the modern nations of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
In order to create the menu, I looked to different books, blogs, websites and modern-ish cookbooks (I will post a list of my resources in a separate post.) I needed to know what was easily accessible. There was a wide variety of fresh water fish available including sturgeon, pike, perch, carp and several others. While the Black sea varieties was made available through the Byzantium trade routes, and the Baltic, varieties were brought through the Northern trade routes. I really wanted to use sturgeon, but that was really pricey and would have taken up most of my budget, so I opted for pike, which was much more affordable.
I also looked at what kind of foilage was available, including spices, berries, what kind of animals they raised. This helped me get an idea of what I could possibly make. Seeing that I found no recipes to redact, I had to "create" a recipe that I thought would be something they would have done. Flavors would have been simple, non-complex. Any spices would have been easily accessible not some that had to be imported.
As my research deepened my menu started to form.
Sourdough Rye bread served with salt and honey
Pickled Eggs
Hard boiled Eggs
Fermented Garden Veggies
Kasha with carmelized onions and mushrooms
Roasted Pork with Juniper Berries and horseradish
Smoked Pike wrapped in Birch Leaves
Soft cheese with honey and dill served with sour cream and rye chips
Honey cakes with berry preserves
Baked Apples stuffed with dried fruits and rye crumbs
Now, while fermenting was the preferred preservation method, because they did not have access to vinegar in the early centuries. However, it is completely plausible vinegar made it's way into the Kievan Rus' culture by the 11th century through the Byzantine trade and the Christian influence.
If you have never worked in a kitchen, a lot happens behind scenes in the kitchen while the event is happening. Laughter, panic, crying and when your not looking you find yourself teaching. I am not one to stand in front of a class and talk. I have taught in the kitchen while cooking. I've demonstrated how to easily peel an onion, how to plate dishes, how to get the royals preferences for your specific lunch and how to plate for that, just to name a few. What is being taught is dependant on each individual person, some want technical skill others, want the "how do I" moments. For me, teaching is easier when I am in the kitchen. It is easier to talk and demonstrate than to teach in a traditional format.
When I am cooking and royals are expected, I create lunch order cards so they can pick and choose what they would like.
I also create a lunch pamphlet's to go with the sideboard this is something relatively new I've started doing. No matter what the theme is, each pamphlet has each dish listed with the ingredients. That way the royals have the ingredients, and the order form and can easily select what they want without worrying about allergens or dislikes. This was very well received by The East Kingdom Heirs. Her Highness took pictures of the lunch order card, and the brochure to show people. It's something that she is hoping other feastocrats will start doing in the East Kingdom.
Comments
Post a Comment